Progressions Introduction to progression activity2
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- To identify patterns of numbers
- To explore different types of number patterns
- To identify and generalize number sequences
One period-45 minutes
Prerequisites/Instructions, prior preparations, if any
Students should be familiar with number sequences and identifying different types of sequences.
Materials/ Resources needed
Spreadsheets containing different types of patterns.
Process (How to do the activity)
- Show the different sequences of numbers in the spreadsheet and ask them:
- Compare the yellow and blue columns. What do you observe?
- Write the general form for the sequence in yellow
- Compare the blue and green columns. What do you observe?
- Is there any difference between the green and the purple column?
- Can you relate the purple series to the pattern you saw before?
- Can you state the rule for the purple row?
- Ask students to observe the series and generalize.
Evaluation at the end of the activity
- Generalizing any given number sequence.