Portal:30 Day CELT
30-day CELT Training Module
The Regional Institute of English South India is a premier institute in India established in the year 1963 for the cause of English Language education. The Institute caters to the English language needs of its member states namely Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Telangana and Puducherry. The short and long-term in-service training programmes offered by the Institute to the teachers of English develop their professional skills and subject competences and also create an awareness of the issues and trends in the field in terms of curricular reforms, syllabus requirements, teaching-learning resources, integration of learning technologies, reforms in testing and evaluation, etc.
This module has been prepared for transacting the 30-day Certificate in English Language Teaching (CELT) teacher empowerment programme to be held at this Institute for primary school teachers.
The main objectives of the 30-day CELT programme are as follows
- engaging the participants in reflective practices so as to help them evaluate / improve their own classroom teaching.
- providing a vibrant platform to the participants to update their knowledge and skills in English language as well as to practice and sharpen their English language skills
- offering opportunities to the participants to acquire professional skills including those in educational technology that can be employed for classroom teaching, review, enrichment and production of teaching-learning materials and preparation and implementation of effective assessment tools and procedures.
- developing a passion for reading and to enthuse them to hone their own writing including creative writing.
- providing hands on experience in designing and planning interesting, effective and innovative ways of teaching in which learners can be engaged in a variety of activities that result in accelerated learning of English language
- creating an awareness in the understanding of teacher-learner roles and to gain an insight into the relationship between the teacher, the learner, the school and the community with all the professional and ethical implications.
- making the teacher participants realize the need to develop and the process is lifelong.
- developing above all, the ability to communicate well for effective classroom interaction and content transaction.
As the module has been prepared for cascading purposes, it does not cover all the areas/inputs/ components that have been discussed in the 30-day CELT course. The module covers only the following components:
- Listening and Speaking: Importance of Listening and Speaking skills; Segmental and Supra-segmental Features of Speech
- Effective Reading: Text types, Process reading, Approaches to reading, Assessing reading
- Writing Better: Writing process, Academic, communicative and creative writing, Teaching and assessing writing
- Classroom processes and ICT Integrated Lessons
- Language Use: Parts of speech, Sentence types, Tenses
- Teaching Grammar: Prescriptive and descriptive grammar, grammaticality, and acceptability
- Professional development: Teacher development, Action/ classroom research and Reflective practices
The teacher participants who have completed the 30-day CELT at RIESI will use this module for replicating the training in their respective districts or blocks. Hence, the module is prepared keeping in mind the level of the practising teachers and their requirements.
We thank all the officials in the State Departments of Education for encouraging and supporting us in the design and conduct of this teacher empowerment programme.
We thank the following members of the faculty who have contributed to the development of this module:
- Dr. Ravinarayan Chakrakodi, Professor and Academic Head
- Dr. Hitesh C Bhakat, Professor
- Dr. Pooja Giri, Lecturer
- Dr. Uzma. S. Raheel, Lecturer
- Mr. Suman Bandi, Lecturer
- Dr. Padmashree. R. P, Lecturer
- Ms Taskhiya Tabassum, Guest Lecturer
Thanks are also due to all the office staff of the RIESI for their cooperation in the smooth conduct of the programme.
|Sl no||Areas for transaction||Topics|
|2||Listening and Speaking||
|7||English language pedagogy||
|8||Teacher professional development||