Activity No # 1 - Observation of dermal tissue
Materials/ Resources needed
A Nerium leaf, a microscope, glass slide, cover slip, glass dish, methylene blue, glycerine, blotting paper etc.
Prerequisites/Instructions, if any
Peel out lower skin of nerium leaf and observe it under microscope.Observe few specialised structures and draw the diagram.
Process (How to do the activity)
- Take a nerium leaf.
- Break the leaf by stretching it so that a peel of skin from the lower epidermis projects out.Remove 2 to 3 pieces of peel and place it in a glass dish with water.
- Select a very fine peel and place it on a glass slide.
- Add 1 to 2 drops of methylene blue on the section and wash the extra stain with water.
- Add 1 to 2 drops of glycerine and cover the section with a cover slip gently and remove the extra stain with a blotting paper.
- Mount the slide on the microscope.
Developmental Questions (What discussion questions)
- Did you see some specialised structures in the slide?
- What are they called?
- what is the structure of stomata?
Evaluation (Questions for assessment of the child)
- What is the function of stomata?
- What is the function of guard cells of stomata?
To link back to the topic page Plant tissues Back