Difference between revisions of "Understanding what is Slope of a line"
|Line 84:||Line 84:|
[[http://karnatakaeducation.org.in/KOER/en/index.php/Co-ordinate_geometry Back to Co-ordinate geometry Page Link]]
Revision as of 07:16, 14 August 2015
Activity 1 - Name of Activity
understanding What is a slope?
Materials/ Resources needed
Graph sheet or Geogebra applet
Prerequisites/Instructions, if any
- idea about coordinate axis,ploting the points
- Idea of Rotation of a line/segment-Angle
Process (How to do the activity)
Ask the students to observe the given table describe the pattern using words .
Ask them to plot and join the points on grids and ask how the line segments is visible in the graph.
ask them to write the relation between X and Y.
(we can come to a conclusion that the larger the absolute value of the number,the linebecomes steeper.)
Developmental Questions (What discussion questions)
- Write the relation between X and Y(as an equation)
- plot the other points following the same pattern and join the points
- How do we differentiate these lines from one another?from the inclination with the x-axis i.e bending of line towards x-axis
- Can we visualise the angle so formed by the line with the X-axis?
- What is the relation between the bending of line and angle formed by it with the X-axis?
We can conclude that bending(orientation of line)increases with the increse in the angle or we can say line becomes steeper with the angle of inclination.
The slope of a line is a number that measures its "steepness" It is the change in y for a unit change in x along the line.
- How do we measure the steepness of line?
- Ask the students to measure Slope of other lines
- Ask the students to inspect the Slope with the help of relation between X and Y
- What is the slope of a horizontal and a Vertical line?