IVRS(Interactive Voice Response System) is commonly used platform to reach people connected through mobile/telephones. This page is about how one can set it up and send Voice SMS at any place with minimal requirements.
Installation and Deployment
This page helps anyone to deploy IVRS to send voice SMS from your Kalpavriksha(Ubuntu) machine with a data card. Call charges as per network would apply. Below instructions were modified from Mojolab site where this was used to install Swara software. This was tested on Kalpavriksha(Ubuntu) with Huwawei E173 and is currently used in Government High School, Domlur. An opensource IVRS program called Asterisk is used to run Swara software.
Make sure each step below is successful without errors:
Step 1: Install ssh, lamp and other required packages
sudo apt update sudo apt install linux-headers-`uname -r` gcc g++ make libnewt-dev libncurses5-dev openssl libssl-dev zlib1g-dev libxml2-dev libjansson-dev uuid-dev libsqlite3-dev git autoconf automake vim
Step 2: Installing asterisk. Note install only this version of asterisk in this way only. Go to http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/asterisk/old-releases/ link and download asterisk-13.13.1.tar.gz file. Run below commands to install it
cd /usr/src sudo tar -xvzf ~/Downloads/asterisk-13.13.1.tar.gz cd asterisk-13.13.1 ./configure sudo make clean sudo make sudo make install sudo make samples
Step 3: Download and extract folders from http://karnatakaeducation.org.in/swarabinFiles.zip to /opt/swara/
cd ~/Downloads wget http://karnatakaeducation.org.in/swarabinFiles.zip unzip swarabinFiles.zip mv swarabinFiles swara sudo cp -r swara /opt/
Step 4: Set up symlinks and Asterisk configurations
sudo cp /opt/swara/conf/extensions.conf /opt/swara/conf/sip.conf /etc/asterisk
Step 5: Download and install chan_dongle from https://github.com/wdoekes/asterisk-chan-dongle
cd ~/Downloads git clone https://github.com/wdoekes/asterisk-chan-dongle.git cd asterisk-chan-dongle ./bootstrap ./configure --with-astversion=13.13.1 make sudo make install
Step 6: Setup chan dongle with Asterisk:
cd ~/Downloads/asterisk-chan-dongle/etc/ <Copy the dongle.conf file to /etc/asterisk/> sudo cp ~/Downloads/asterisk-chan-dongle/etc/dongle.conf /etc/asterisk/ <Open the file /etc/asterisk/dongle.conf and set the IMEI setting with the IMEI number of the dongle> sudo gedit /etc/asterisk/dongle.conf <Save and close the dongle.conf file after adding IMEI number of the dongle>
Step 7: Setup Asterisk and swara to make calls:
<Open the file "/etc/asterisk/dongle.conf" and set the values for Context as "from-sip" and exten as "swara-local"> sudo gedit /etc/asterisk/dongle.conf <Save and close the dongle.conf file
Step 8: Setup Asterisk to use swara configs
<Edit /etc/asterisk/extensions.conf> sudo gedit /etc/asterisk/extensions.conf <Under [from-sip], change> exten => swara-local,n,AGI(menu_system_localized.py) to exten => swara-local,n,AGI(/opt/swara/bin/menu_system_localized1.py) <Save and close the file after changing as shown above>
Installation is now completed. Now to run the IVRS and send voice-sms, connect the USB dongle to the USB drive and follow below steps:
1. Open the terminal. change to root using the command "sudo -s" 2. Now run the command "asterisk -vvvvvvc". This should run without fail and the CLI prompt should come 3. On the CLI command prompt run the command "agi set debug on" 4. Call to the number and you should hear the IVR prompt 5. Stop to this run "core stop gracefully" 6. Stop and Restart "core restart gracefully" 7. check Dongle is ready "dongle show devices"
Below steps can be followed to send Voice-SMS with above set-up. Get the Voice-SMS GUI from this link http://karnatakaeducation.org.in/VoiceBlast.zip. Extract the file to get VoiceBlast folder inside your Downloads folder. To be able to run IVRS without going to Terminal, please run below comm
Open terminal window and type:
In the bottom of the file, type the following:
ubuntu ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL
Replace *ubuntu* with your own username. Now press Ctrl+O and then press Enter and then Ctrl+X to come out of editor.
Next type below command in Terminal:
This will open edit window, now paste the below code into it and save the file.
#!/bin/bash cd ~/Downloads/VoiceBlast/ && sudo ./VBlast4.py
Now go to the file location and right click on it to select Properties. Click on Permissions tab and tick the "Allow executing file as program" checkbox.
Right click on Applications, select Edit menu. Click on Office on the left side and click on New Item on the right side. Type IVRS 1 as name and type below command in the Command field:
sudo asterisk -vvvvvvc
Now tick the Launch in Terminal and Click on OK.
Again click on New Item and Type IVRS 2 for Name field. Then in Command field type the following:
Then tick the Launch in Terminal and Click on OK.
1. Open Voice-SMS window. 2. Select your Audio file in *.wav format. 3. Select text file with list of numbers to which the message has to be sent. 4. Enter the duration in seconds. 5. Click on Send to start the calls.
Getting Good Quality Audio for Voice-SMS
Usually in school ambiance, it is difficult to get good quality audio recordings for sending Voice SMS. Great quality audio is very essential for your message to reach your intended audience. Below are few steps one can follow to ensure this:
Before proceeding with below steps, please ensure you have the following with you - Android phone, Audacity software, Tape-a-talk app on your Android and earphones if available.
- Install Tape-a-talk app on your Android phone.
- This IVRS platform requires audio recording in *.wav format, so please record using Tape-a-talk which outputs *.wav format audio by default.
- Set frequency in the android app to 8,000GHz which is another requirement for IVRS.
- Hold your phone at exactly 450 degree angle and at half-feet distance from your mouth for better audio capture by phone's microphone.(Use earphones if available)
- Stop the recording when you are done and transfer audio file to your computer.
- Use Audocity to remove any noise from the audio file and export it to same *.wav format with 8,000GHz frequency.(Listen to your audio file in earphones if available)
- Use the exported audio file to send Voice SMS in the IVRS applciation.