Electromagnetic induction introduction to electromagnetic induction activity 2
Activity No #2 - Electromagnet Experiment
Materials/ Resources needed
- A large iron nail(about 3 inches)
- Coated copper wire or enameled copper wire or threaded copper wire 2 mts
- D.C. Source (Battery or cells of 9 to 12 volts)
- Iron pieces(Feelings or pins)or other small magnetic objects
Prerequisites/Instructions, if any
Be careful though, the wire could get very hot when high voltage passed.
Process (How to do the activity)
Cut the wire (if needed) and loose at the other end too. Now remove about an inch of the coating from both ends of the wire and attach the one wire to one end of a battery and the other wire to the other end of the battery. See picture below.
Now you have an ELECTROMAGNET! Put the point of the nail near the pins or iron feeling and it should pick them up.
Developmental Questions (What discussion questions)
- In the coil kept wooden stick instead of nail, can it become magnet?
Evaluation (Questions for assessment of the child)
To link back to the topic page