CELT RIESI Language Workshop
Objectives of the workshop
- Explore Audacity FOSS tool to create effective language resources
- Record and edit audio in Audacity to see how audio can be used in a language lesson.
- To explore new digital tools and applications for language learning
- Make your audio resource more effective by using multiple audio files (background music)
|10.30 -11.0||Record audio using different devices||Demo||Using different applications for audio recording
Understanding the technical specifications for audio – headphones, microphone, etc
|Check list of recording a good quality audio
Audacity interface Go through the audio recording process – record pause, play, stop and save as project file, export Mobile apps are like sound recorder, audio recorder, recorder Record and save audio files.
|11.15-12.45||Creating audio resources for the lessons in the text||Hands-on||1. Understanding the power of audio in a classroom
2. Appreciating the incremental benefit that the digital audio resource brings to a classroom – possibilities of introducing contextual sounds 3. Understanding elements of good script writing
|1. Participants have to select (on selected story line and poem etc)
2. Use lab computers or their personal laptop or mobile phones to record. 3.If it is story - participants can make groups of 2 people to record 4. For Poem - try to record same poem with different voice modulation 5. Save your audio files. 6. Import all recorded audio files into systems.
|12.45-1.00||Hands-on||Import audio into systems (who are recorded in mobile)
And import to audcaity (all) - 30 min
|2-4.00||Adding audio elements to your recording||l||1. Effectiveness of adding audio effects
2. Understanding when to use audio effects and how 3. Using an audio editing tool to add sound elements
|1. Use edit tools to refine your audio by removing unwanted part
2. To understand what is track and its uses 3. Use multiple tracks to add background music for the audio 4. Participants identify the sound effects they would like to add 5. File export as audio files and save as project
|4.0-5.00||Use different audio effects for make audio more interest||Using an audio editing tool to enhance an audio resource
Understanding of using different audio effects to make more effective of the story
|1. Use amplify to adjust the output volume of your audio files
2. Fade in/out to adjust the audio -voice modulation 4. Save Export your audio files in different formats.
- Explore audacity (Free and Open sources audio editor tool)
- Teachers' toolkit for creating and re-purposing OER using FOSS/Audio and Video OER
- Audio resources created from IT for Change
- Stephen Krashen's Theory of Second Language Acquisition
- Online OER audio repositories