What and how to measure
Measurement is the act of determining a target's size, length, weight, capacity, or other aspect.
Understand importance of measurement
Understand parameters that are measurable
Prerequisites/Instructions, prior preparations, if any
All the required shapes will be cut with particular measurements
Materials/ Resources needed
Non Digital: Cardboard sheet, cutter, cell opine tape, compasses , protractor ,Scale , pencil ,
Web resource: Arvindgupta Toys from trash for learning
Process (How to do the activity)
- Take a cardboard sheet , draw equal squares 4 of them in a single line and select second square and draw one above and one below , Fold each line and can get cube
Take a cardboard sheet cut it into rectangular shape and cut the two congruent circles fold it and join the two circles on either sides using cello pine tape and can make a cylinder
- Ask the children to make a list of all activities in different areas of life where measurements play an important role.
- Have a discussion in the classroom regarding importance of measurements and how difficult life would be without measurements.
- Developmental Questions (What discussion questions)
- What are congruent circles?
- What are 3D figures?
- What are polygons?
- Why measure?
- How do we measure ?
- What are the measuring modes and units seen at the market, Hospital, Chemist laboratories, Gold shop, Tailors, Bakeries, Petrol bunks, water tankers, milk vendors, contractors, kitchen, airport, and so on.?
- Evaluation (Questions for assessment of the child)
- How do you get cuboid? Which different shapes you need ?
- Make a cone and also the frustum of cone with circles of radii 4cm and 2cm respectively
- What were the early traditional measuring modes used. Find out from your elders.
- Who formulates the standards