Area of a quadrilateral
A diagonal divides a quadrilateral into 2 triangles. Understanding area of a quadrilateral in terms of triangles is done with this activity.
To find the area of a quadrilateral
Prerequisites/Instructions, prior preparations, if any
Prior understanding of properties of triangles
Materials/ Resources needed
- Digital : Computer, geogebra application, projector.
- Non digital : Worksheet and pencil
- Geogebra files : ‘Area of a quadrilateral.ggb’
Download this geogebra file from this link.
Process (How to do the activity)
- How can the quadrilateral be divided into triangles?
- What is common for the two triangles formed?
- How can the area of the quadrilateral be found with the two triangles that are formed?
- Record the values of segments
Value of diagonal AC (f) Value of h Value of j Area of triangle ABC Area of triangle ADC Area of Quadrilateral . .
- Can the area of any quadrilateral be found with this method