Alternative energy resources solar energy activity 1
Activity No # 1 - Shoe box solar cooker
==Estimated Time== 45 mins
Materials/ Resources needed
- Oven Thermometer
- Soda Cans
- Black Paint (or wide tipped felt marker)
Prerequisites/Instructions, if any
Process (How to do the activity)
1. Paint a soda can black paint . If you don’t have paint you can use a felt marker
, or even wrap the
can with black paper. Secure the paper with tape or rubber bands. This helps the can absorb
2. Use kabob stick to punch a hole through one of the long sides of the shoebox. The hole should be about 2” from the back of the box. This is for the thermometer.
3. You may have to add several layers of cardboard inside. This lets the thermometer reach the inside of the can. It also adds insulation. Try wrapping the cardboard with aluminum foil to reflect heat onto the can.
4. Attach another reflector with tape. Puncture the reflectors with kabob sticks, and and slide them through the reflectors. use the sticks to hold the reflectors open.
5. Try using a black-painted can and a plain can to see how fast each heats up. Make a chart to record your results.
6. Lay the shoebox on its side in the sun. You can lean it against a wall to face the sun. Fill the soda can about 3/4 full with water, and place it in the box. Insert the thermometer, and record the temperature. record the temperature again at regular intervals (15 minutes or more).
Developmental Questions (What discussion questions)
- why we have to wrap shoe box with black paper?
- can we use black paint insted of balck paper?
Evaluation (Questions for assessment of the child)
- what is the role of black paper in this activity?
- which is good for the solar cookoer -black paper or white paper?
- Why you should use renewable source of energy?
- How renewable source of energy is use full than non renewable source of energy?
- What is the difference between solar collector and solar cell?
- what is the difference between solar water heater and solar cell?
To link back to the topic page Give the link of the page name from where activity was given Back