A discussion on “Life without circular shaped figures.”
Discussion based activity to relate and assimilate circular shapes seen in our surroundings.
To recognize circular shapes
Prerequisites/Instructions, prior preparations, if any
Previous day homework :
- Ask the children to make a list of all circular objects that they can think of :
- List as many devices as you can think of that depend on the wheel.(Consider objects in your home, at school, games and toys, machines, vehicles and engines as you make your list.)
- Now imagine living in a world without any kind of wheels or rolling devices. How would life be different? Would it be harder? How and why? Describe what it would be like to live without any wheels.
Materials/ Resources needed
Non digital: Paper, pen
Process (How to do the activity)
Have an open discussion with children. Initially let the children share their ideas and do most of the talking. Ensure that the intended discussion remains within the context. Make a mind map on blackboard of all relevant points discussed . Let them appreciate the significance of circular shape thus setting the stage for further study of this fantastic shape called “circles”.
- Developmental Questions :(What discussion questions)
- What all shapes do we see around us ?
- Can you imagine bicycles and your other vehicles without circular wheels ?
- How different life would have been if wheel was not disovered ?
- What about potter's wheel and stone mill?
- Do you think that it is necessary for us to study and understand the parameters of circle in depth and detail ?
- Do you all now agree that wheel is one of the greatest inventions of mankind? Justify
- Question Corner:
- Are shapes important ? How?
- Is bangle a circle ?
- When you say shape, what do you mean ?